Font formatting

Hi Findings Team!

I am only testing Findings for a few hours now. Up until now, I am liking very much what I see!

First thing that would be great if implemented: a Text formatting toolbox or menu.
When setting up protocols and even more importantly, when working in the lab from such protocol (or Experiment in this case), text formatting is often important for me to visualise things well and follow along as I run my experiments.
What do I mean with Text formatting? I mean being able to change font style and size inside the document. I have seen that one can make the text bold, italic or underline it, however it is not possible to size the text as needed. A tool box would be a great way to get this done.

Another thing that I am missing is the possibility to merge cells in tables. When looking at an assay plate layout, for example, I often like to merge cells that I can then more easily label. Details are often too big to fit in each well and make the layout visually very unappealing.

I hope this help!

1 Like

Hi Damien,

Thanks for your enthusiasm! One of the decisions we made early on is to keep the text editor fairly simple, but we eventually added a number of things like highlighting and text color. For now, custom font and text size is still off the table. Instead, I’d encourage you to try the different paragraph styles from the Format and Insert menu.

That’s not to say it will never happen, but it’s definitely not something on the near horizon I am sorry :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Charles

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

One more feature request: I am using protocols as building blocks that I can add to my experiments. I would love to be able to move these blocks up and down in my experiment to fit them at the best place (which sometimes changes as I design my assay). You already implement adding of protocols into experiments and they seem to behave more or less like units (which is great!). What I miss is some kind of anchor which could be used to move these blocks/units up and down along the experimental flow.

I hope this helps. I have been using another ELN in the past (LabGuru) and have had some great experience and some bad. I think your software could really be a great tool for scientists if you can show flexibility and bring as many options and tools as possible that could make people’s work easier and which would differentiate yourself from basic softwares like Word. The time stamp and the file management capabilities are not enough! In my mind, to make people move from their habits, the writing and designing of experiments should be the main focus. Thus, text editing and making the protocol look great should be effortless and just a great experience for the consumer. You want to make people just want to come back to it and design another experiment!

Thanks for the hard work!

Thanks for the additional feedback on protocol ordering. This is indeed something I would like to add in the future. At the moment, note that you can change a date and offset automatically all the content, though not at the level of individual protocols. You can also cut-and-paste an entire block, which will retain the protocol logic as well. Have a nice day!